I love rummaging through charity shops - they can be a great source of fabric, particularly cheap fabrics for dying. We have a great little chain around here, The Willen Hospice shops. And in the spirit of thrift and re-use, which remains key to the Bletchley Park piece, I turned to charity shop treasures.
Actually the men's shirts I used did not come from the Willen shops, but never mind. I cut them up (backs, front panels, sleeves) and then dyed them in containers - you can see from the pictures that even the dye containers stick with the re-use/upcycle theme. I stuck with the procion dyes I have been using to colour the background pages.
Meanwhile, it has been another busy week of house guests, so I have had limited time for much more work other than a bit more doodling in the sketch book. This time I have used handmade paper (from a stash I bought a couple of months ago at a shop that was closing down).
I like the effect of this - the paper 'rings' around the printing. I think you will see this technique in the final piece (if you're new to this I am using communication as the focus of my contemporary quilt with the old computers at Bletchley Park inspiring patterns that will creep into the piece).