Journal quilts - 1 and 2 next steps

15 February 2013

So, on my last post I showed you how I prepared the background fabric for my first 2 Journal quilts - a favourite background technique I use quite a lot.

The next day I cut the background into the quilt sizes 12 x 8 inches horizontally - in itself a challenge (not the cutting, but the orientation!  Instinct wants me to go profile not landscape!)

Then, with the words I had brainstormed in mind (I have pinned this to the back of a cupboard door in the studio to prompt me) I set to work.

And it just flowed!  I love it when that happens.


For the first little quilt I used words from a weekend paper supplement - there was an article on a daughters descent into schizophrenia.  So I grabbed snippets of some one else's memories - not mine - and other words and dates.  The words could mean something to anyone, or not - and ditto with some of the random days.  Certainly for the dates here I could not tell you what I was doing - those memories are lost.

I just snipped and arranged.



Then using Mod Podge because it has a nice opaque finish and coloured with the purple Brusho Ink I glued the snippets of paper down.

Meanwhile, and because it was all flowing so well, another idea came to me.  When she was little my daughter had a lovely pair of little pink ankle boots.  I don't know why, but I remember them so well.  But I don't have a photo of them.


So, I found a photo on the web of a similar shoe and made a tracing of it.


Which I then turned into a very simple pattern.


The shoes were pink.  I had no pink fabric, but I did have some pink paint and some extender.  So I painted my own fabric, and then used the pattern above (reversed in one case to make a pair) to cut the shoes.


A bit of pink felt for the laces and dark pink felt for the soles.


And then using a lovely variegated cotton I stitched the welt of the shoes and finished the end of the laces.


Here you can see them placed on the background, but not attached yet.

Now both little quilts are ready for stitching (and indeed quilting for they are just background papers here).  That is the next stage.

I am going to post this on Nina Marie's blog (a good read in itself and a lovely way to share with other people).  I would be really interested to have your feedback, though you might want to wait for the finished pieces.  I promise you I will get them finished quickly and the little finished articles posted for comment.

10 comments

  1. Great start H - I do love the shoes, a really personal memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are really coming together. I like them too.

      How's it going with you?

      H
      xx

      Delete
  2. Just a quick comment, I really love the idea for the sweet baby shoes and I can hardly wait to see the finished product! I am just getting into trying some textile art and I am really excited about it so seeing another artist's work is always inspiring!
    Have a super sewing day!
    Tina xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for stopping by. Nearly finished and will post the final piece when it is completer.

      Delete
  3. Caught your blog link on Off the Wall Fridays and I'm glad I did. What a great idea to make the baby shoes...especially since you don't have a photo. Those are memories one doesn't want to lose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am pleased with the results so far, and your right. A great way to capture a memory. It will be interesting to see how this Memories JQ project develops over the year.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  4. Very creative and a great idea to make the baby shoes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping by and leaving a comment. I had one of those 'moments' - like you do! - and they seem to work. I like the fact that they are almost 3 dimentional - almost, but not quite.

      Delete
  5. love the baby shoes - I can see them being a theme in a series of quilts - and you know I love text on a quilt (since I'm doing signs myself!) just great!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really funny how lots of people seem to relate to the shoes - and they were such a 'ta da' moment - and if I am honest, not really the normal me.

      Since they have had such a good reaction I might explore other memories of my children's childhoods (they're adults now!)- they had lovely little Clothkits Coats, and then there was Mac Ted! He could have a series of quilts all of his own!

      Thanks so much for stopping by, and loving your blog by the way.

      Delete

I love to receive your comments - so please say hello. I have just been brave and turned the word verification off. Lets hope those spammy gate crashers don't get in!

Latest Instagrams

© Living to work - Working to live. Design by FCD.