Horizons - a diversion

11 April 2013

While I wrestle with the technical dilemmas of Horizons (and also look somewhat enviously at the blog of  Linda Kemshall, who has a digital fabric print facility in the family) I am thinking about the next two Journal Quilts for the Contemporary Quilters project for 2013.

You may remember that one of my little quilts focussed on a pair of little pink shoes that my daughter had when she was little (you can find the finished quilts so far here) and that got me thinking about other aspects of their childhood that remain precious to me.

One thing that we always did when my children were small was read them a bedtime story.  My children were babies of the 1980's and I found myself thinking back to their favourites (the Ahlbergs were real favourites - Mr Creep was a bad man, Mrs Creep was a bad woman, Miss Creep and Master Creep were bad children - and Growler Creep was a BAD DOG)






and then back further to stories that meant a lot to me in my childhood.



And then I remembered another story by the Ahlbergs - Each Peach Pear Plum.


So I decided to sketch my own version - Pooh Bear is lurking in there ( I used water colour and Inktense pencils from Derwent).


But now I have to work out how to transfer this image to a little quilt!

I do seem to be making life difficult for myself at the moment!

4 comments

  1. Replies
    1. Thanks so much!

      Weren't you a teacher? Was this your age group? If so, you must have very happy memories of the Ahlbergs!

      Delete
  2. I'm sure you can use the Inktense directly on fabric....is that allowed?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can and they are really great for colouring fabric - permanent up to 30 degrees I think. But I used my sketch book because I wasn't sure if I would want to use the finished drawing (I do as it happens)and because the stiffness of the paper is easier.

      I think I am going to print onto tyvek and then applique that to the little quilt background.

      You'll see I am still wrestling with Horizons! Thanks for you help so far though.

      Delete

I love to receive your comments - so please say hello. I have just been brave and turned the word verification off. Lets hope those spammy gate crashers don't get in!

Latest Instagrams

© Living to work - Working to live. Design by FCD.