Screen printing with paper templates

24 March 2012

I was up with a lark on Saturday morning and as it was too foggy to set off to walk the dog  I decided to have a go at a bit of screen printing using paper templates, though someone wasn't particularly impressed by the delay of his walk.




I saw a video on this on U Tube last weekend - it looked like a fascinating technique.



So I folded and snipped away at pages from the Guardian Weekend magazine (I did this earlier in the week)  and then stuck them to my screen with masking tape.



Then I used Textile Medium mixed with acrylic paint as the printing ink.  The medium slows down the drying time of the paint so making it a bit more user friendly for screen printing. You mix it with paint using a 1:1 ratio of paint to medium.



I used a decent System 3 paint, and a cheap acrylic from The Works.  They both worked just as well.



I used newspaper to pad the work surface and then a piece of calico as a new drop cloth.  The first pull adheres the paper to the screen.  The video reckoned about 8 -10 pulls per screen with paper.  I used it 7 times, after which the edges were beginning to get a bit 'soft and raggedy' and I was loosing the crisp out line of the images.



But I think this technique has real potential.

The last image shows a print done on a piece of previously dyed Evolon fabric.

And just as a contrast, earlier in the week I used cut paper as a stencil and used a markal paint stick on a piece of dry powder coloured paper (the dry powder was applied while the gesso was still wet)

7 comments

  1. Thanks for your comment on my blog - I do sleep, but my house is a bit of a tip! Isn't the indigo bath great? I really like your prints as well.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wondering - if the Evolon doesnt fray and presumably it folds well - if you produce a really interesting design using newspaper can you copy it using the Evolon for the mask. Then you could print loads..............

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a really good idea. I guess you could also wash it to keep it fresh ( if you use an acrylic base printing ink the edges could get a bit clogged making the definition a bit less clear). I have never tried this but it actually sounds like a really good idea. Thanks for the suggestion.

      Delete
  3. Some truly howling work on behalf of the owner of this website , dead great subject matter. screen press

    ReplyDelete
  4. The post is written in very a good manner and it contains many useful information for me. cinema near me

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a great resource that you are providing and you give it away for free. I love seeing blog that understand the value. Im glad to have found this post as its such an interesting one! I am always on the lookout for quality posts and articles so i suppose im lucky to have found this! I hope you will be adding more in the future... cinema near me

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments - so please say hello. I have just been brave and turned the word verification off. Lets hope those spammy gate crashers don't get in!

Latest Instagrams

© Living to work - Working to live. Design by FCD.