PVA Glue and Screen Printing

4 September 2013

I use quite a lot of PVA glue - and I guess many of us do.  It is cheap and easy to get hold of.  A quick trip to Hobbycraft or The Range and stocks are replenished.

However, I don't do that much sticking.  I do use it to bond tissue papers onto backing fabrics to make that 'backgound' paper that I use a lot, but I also use it as a resist to decorate fabric. 

I have had mixed success with this.  The first time I tried it the result was spectacular but it took so long to wash (indeed scrub) the glue out that I lost some of the colour.

The second time I used a different glue and it just let the paint seep everywhere - no resist at all!

But I read somewhere that you could use PVA glue to make screens for printing.  So I thought I would give it a go.



The glue I used was nothing special at all. But I did decant it into a craft bottle with a smaller hole to control the flow.

Then I took my screen and masked off the edges with parcel tape.  This is a commercial screen that came from a kit.  I have had it a few years and the whole kit was a present.


You apply the glue to the underside of the screen so that you don't scratch the design as you pull the ink across in the well.


Here is the design.  The glue is still wet so you can see it.

Now this process is not for the impatient (Hilary Beattie - are you reading this?)  You have to let the glue dry.  In my case I left it for a good couple of days.  You know when the glue is dry as it is clear and the design is much fainter.

Then I did the printing!

I printed on both fabric (scraps from a previous dyeing session) and paper.  

I used fabric printing ink - in has a good consistency.  Next time I will try acrylic paint with a retarder.







I did quite a few print runs (I won't bore you with them all).  I started with nice clear colours but ended with a muddy brown as I mixed the ink - perhaps on reflection the blue was a mistake so early on in the print run.

Anyway, you get the gist.

Now you can't wash and use the screen immediately because when you wash it you wet the glue again and it goes all white and sticky.  At the very end of my session I blasted the the screen with cold water through the 'well'.  The ink did wash away and the glue appears pretty much intact, so I will try a second batch (though I suspect there will have been some degradation of the design).

But a good technique I think - and one to try again.

29 comments

  1. Thanks for sharing this idea - I'm really itching to have a go- Gilli @ Tasty Textiles

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great screen and really crisp results. If you use thickened dye you don't have to worry about having to wash the screen out so quickly. It will be interesting to see the effects as the design degrades.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I could have used dye but I had the inks to hand. When I get back from holiday I might invest in a lot of plastic containers to make up a batch of dyes to use for printing.

      Delete
  3. Wow - that's pretty effective. And as Maggi says, it could be another method for deconstructed screen printing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I might try another print run later to see how the screen has been effected by the washing. This process does have some potential I feel.

      Delete
  4. I think the degraded screen will be really exciting! This is a great idea for making individual designs. Must try it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the design you made with your glue! You were able to get some beautiful definition with the smaller tipped bottle. GREAT idea! Have you printed again with the screen? Looking forward to seeing that one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lisa - just back from a week in Spain so no more screen printing yet, but I will try to get round to it later this week.

      Delete
  6. That design is fantastic - were you able to completely remove the glue once you had finished the print run? I really want to try this but don't want to ruin my screens!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Can you use the screen again, e.g. with paper stencils, or does the PVA stick/damage the screen? In other words, I'd like to have a go at this, but would want to use the screen again for other types of printing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My screen is a bit battered but with the glue I used it did wash off and is reusable. So I think it depends on the glue you use. Some are not so easy to wash off and they might damage the screen.

      Delete
  8. These are some great tools that i definitely use for SEO work. This is a great list to use in the future..
    Silk screen supplies

    ReplyDelete
  9. Positive site, where did u come up with the information on this posting?I have read a few of the articles on your website now, and I really like your style. Thanks a million and please keep up the effective work. pva glue

    ReplyDelete
  10. Here i found nice environment to get new ideas and views and the i have read the comments of this blog and these are really nice and it is glad to comment here.
    screen printing

    ReplyDelete
  11. I was surfing net and fortunately came across this site and found very interesting stuff here. Its really fun to read. I enjoyed a lot. Thanks for sharing this wonderful information. חולצות מודפסות לאירועים

    ReplyDelete
  12. This particular is usually apparently essential and moreover outstanding truth along with for sure fair-minded and moreover admittedly useful My business is looking to find in advance designed for this specific useful stuffs… flat screen printing machine

    ReplyDelete
  13. nice bLog! its interesting. thank you for sharing.... round screen printing machine

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awesome post, exceptionally educational. I ask why alternate masters of this area don't see this. You should proceed with your written work. I'm sure, you have an extraordinary perusers' base as of now! screen printing near me

    ReplyDelete
  15. Very Helpful And Nice Posted Article. This Is Really Useful And Nice Information. I Am Impressed By Your Given Post Of Your Blog.

    Thank You Very Much For Great Post.

    Screen printing machine for plastic bottles

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great Blog, there is so much reality written in this content and everything is something which is very hard to be argued. Top notch blog having excellent content. cosmetic packing screen printing machine

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very helpful and nice nformation. there is so much reality written in this content and everything is something which is very hard to be argued. Top notch blog having excellent content. Best Screen Printing Machine for Cosmetics Jar

    ReplyDelete
  18. Great post i must say and thanks for the information. Education is definitely a sticky subject. However, is still among the leading topics of our time. I appreciate your post and look forward to more. t-shirt prints

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great Blog, there is so much reality written in this content and everything is very hard to be argued. A top-notch blog having excellent content.Screen printing machine for cosmetic

    ReplyDelete
  20. But wanna admit that this is very helpful , Thanks for taking your time to write this. screen print

    ReplyDelete
  21. I really appreciate the kind of topics you post here. Thanks for sharing us a great information that is actually helpful. Good day! cinema near me

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just found this blog and have high hopes for it to continue. Keep up the great work, its hard to find good ones. I have added to my favorites. Thank You. cinema near me

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments - so please say hello. I have just been brave and turned the word verification off. Lets hope those spammy gate crashers don't get in!

Latest Instagrams

© Living to work - Working to live. Design by FCD.