I've Been to the Races

28 April 2015

... well, Uttoxeter Race Course, to be accurate.

But there was not a horse in site.

Because it was Quilt Exhibition at Uttoxeter, held at the rather lovely race course there.

And I had entered two pieces into the Innovative Embroidery class.

What I like about this little show is the fact that it has an embroider pavilion (yes - it really is a pavilion because it directly overlooks the racecourse.)



The down side of this pavilion is that in bright sunshine (and it was a lovely sunny day) photos can be a bit tricky because of the way the sun streams in through the windows.

Anyway, I took a few photos.



"Sea at Spurn Point" - by Maggie Ready



"Fragments One and Two" - by Hazel Brewer
Fragments inspired by the disintegrating Regimental Colours of the Leicestershire Regiment and the Regimental Guidons from the late 1700s) 



Sorry - I wasn't concentrating so I cannot tell you who did this. 



Or this rather stunning clock (in a glass cabinet - the reflections from the glass adding to the photographic challenges!) 


But Frieda Oxenham made this stunning quilt, which won Overall Champion. 


Detail from Frieda's quilt - it glowed gold, but the artificial light did not pick that up so well. 




A quilt in the exhibition which caught my eye - again I apologise to the make who I have not catalogued. 


And finally three journal quilts by Janet Edgington that caught my eye, mixed media pieces from a workshop by Shelly Rhodes (an artist who I have not heard of before, but who I must look up!) 





 A lovely day out!




1 comment

  1. Thank you for sharing these posts of the exhibition, I wasn't able to go this year. I took a workshop with Shelley Rhodes a few years ago and it was inspirational. She has a lovely studio north of Carnforth in the Lakes and we spent a happy day playing with mark making and stitch.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments - so please say hello. I have just been brave and turned the word verification off. Lets hope those spammy gate crashers don't get in!

Latest Instagrams

© Living to work - Working to live. Design by FCD.