Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Horizons - the actual horizon

This is gradually taking shape.

I made another print block, I do love a print block, this one with an old pizza base rather than with play foam   to create a bit of texture.


This was so simple to make.  Just roughly cut with a pair of scissors and stuck onto a bit of random card with PVA glue.

Then I mixed a bit of black acrylic paint with some green paint.

And I printed some samples.


Very pleased with the result - the texture of the pizza base is just what I was after.

So I went ahead and printed the image onto the 'horizons' pieces I am working on.



Really please with the results.

If you have just dropped in, you might want to see the other entries on the developments of these pieces here and here and here.

And, I am going to link this to Nina-Marie's lovely blog.  As well as her own work, she has a nifty link up and you can find other inspiration there as well.  Or just wander around her lovely blog.

24 comments:

  1. Fabulous!
    I'm looking forward to watching your progress!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment and for dropping by!

      The key is going to be how I 'blow this up' - my plan is to make a jpeg and then get it digitally printed onto a large piece of fabric and then 'whole quilt' it.

      New departure for me and what I don't know is how the 'imperfections' will translate to a large format.

      Delete
  2. ohhh I love how you made the stamp - smartie!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Up-cycling!! It's all up-cycling. The pizza base gives a bit of texture, which is what I was after.

      So cheap and easy to make!

      I must try something similar as a collograph print plate rather than as a block. Lots of potential still to explore.

      Thanks for dropping by.

      Delete
  3. Great idea and so creative - can't wait to see the progress.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello and thanks for stopping by.

      I have to decide if I need to do more with this now or wait until it is printed and add the detail then.

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by. Yes - now got to decide if I move it to fabric or if I should stick with the paper for a bit longer.

      Delete
  5. Replies
    1. Well thank you so much.

      And thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  6. Great to see your process......excellent! Very effective

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - still a long way to go. Hopefully going to a show today (weather permitting since we have a ridiculous snow fall here and we Brits struggle with snow at the best of times) to get a bit more inspiration.

      Delete
  7. I want someday to do what you are doing. I guess I just need to take the leap! It's lovely.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. For me it was 3 great tutors who helped me leap - the Kemshalls (Linda and Laura), Angie Hughes and Brenda Boardman.

      Finding them and learning their techniques - not so much their textile techniques but their design techniques, really took me to the next level.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  8. This is going to be really interesting on fabric. I find your process interesting as well, first working on paper and then printing onto fabric. You've made me stop and think!
    best, nadia

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This will be a first - it will be interesting to see if it works out.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  9. well, this is just downright fun.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am enjoying the process. It's new for me so the finished piece will be interesting too.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  10. Very cool. Speaks of antiquity....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is based on an amazing ruined palace in Southern Spain. When the rest of Europe was in the Dark Ages, Andalucia under the Moorish control of Northern Africa, was a very cultured place. We all know of the Alhambra at Granada, but this ruin is all that is left of an earlier palace complex. I love that part of the world.

      Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  11. Oh wow - this looks really really great !!! Something I think I need to try ;-))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wait till you see the finished piece, though the Kemshalls use this technique frequently. Let's see how I get on. I've got to master the technical bit first of scanning the picture to a decent resolution suitable for printing.

      Thanks for your comments.

      Delete
  12. Hi there, thanks for the comment on the blog about Procion P. There is a little bit of soda ash added to the Procion P dye mix, but only about 1/4 tsp to 50mls of dye mix. The dye is then fixed by steaming the cloth for about 20 minutes. We are lucky to have a bullet steamer at Morley College, but it is possible to improvise with a colander and a pan of water.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah - so you put the soda ash in the 'paint' rather than on the fabric.

      I have set silk paint with a home made gizmo on a cooker top - I guess a similar approach would be needed.

      Delete

I love to receive your comments - so please say hello. I have just been brave and turned the word verification off. Lets hope those spammy gate crashers don't get in!