Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Inspiration all around

Even when the day job encroaches there is still inspiration to be found.

Recently, tucked away in the City of London I came across this.




This garden is on the site of the former churchyard and church of St John Zachary (who I believe was John the Baptist) a parish church destroed by the fire of London in 1666.  There is a link with the Worshipful Company of Goldsmiths (I think they owned land hereabouts) and had a livery hall destroyed in the blitz.  This garden was laid out shortly afterwards and redesigned in the mid 1990s.  I don't know but I am guessing that the gold cat on the gates is something to do with the Goldsmiths.  Anyone know?

Anyway, I think it is rather lovely. 

And failing that there is always Clive Hicks-Jenkins and some of the other blogs I follow to keep the spirit raised. 




4 comments:

  1. Isn't that great about London, that there is always something inspirational, if you are prepared to let your eyes wander and are not plugged in to an electronic device? I think the cat is the hallmark of the Goldsmith's Company.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah ha! I don't know much about the Goldsmiths and I found this little garden entirely by accident. It is in Gresham St. Do you know it?

      Delete
  2. Yes its a leopards head which is their emblem. I was involved in making that archway in the early 90's and also made one of the four leopards. Initials JL in one of the ears.

    ReplyDelete

I love to receive your comments - so please say hello. I have just been brave and turned the word verification off. Lets hope those spammy gate crashers don't get in!