I'm in a book

5 April 2014

Which is most exciting, since I've never been in a book before. 

You may remember that last year I regaled you with tales of my Horizons quilt.  This quilt was made for contemporary quilt group challenge at the Festival of quilts at the NEC. 

It was a great exhibition and very well received and actually after the event I did not get to take the quilt home but instead it went on its travels. Recently it was displayed, along with other quilts from the exhibition, at the Weavers Gallery in Ledbury and since then it has travelled to Prague.

However, what I did not know was that there was a plan to create a book from all the quilts that were entered for the challenge. But a couple of weeks ago I received an email telling me that the book was ready and I could order a copy if I wished. 

And here it is.



And here is the page with my quilt. I have to say that the photograph here is much better than the photograph I managed to take. All the quilts have been photographed really well in the book. This was a challenge because of the dimentions of the quilts. I don't think that the photographs were professional, in that I don't think that the contemporary culture group paid a professional photographer to take photographs.  I believe several of the Quilters themselves took these photographs. They did a brilliant job.





13 comments

  1. Ooo - congrats! It looks great - both the book and your quilt. Good photographs are so important for these publications. Nothing more disappointing than poor photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's such a great book. All the quilts have been photographed so well. And, lo, the comment below reveals the mystery. A bit of brilliant team work between Christine's husband, Nick, and another Hillary, Hillary Gooding. This Hilary is a stalwart of the contemporary court in the UK.

      Delete
  2. Most of the photos in the book were taken by my husband, Nick. Hilary Gooding then did all the manipulation to straighten, remove white walls and ensure the colours were as true as possible. Great team work and a lovely tribute to an exhibition of super quilt makers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Christine can you please say a very big thank you to your husband Nick. I know from personal experience how very difficult it is to actually take an even halfway decent photograph of a quilt or embroidery. The photos in this book were absolutely brilliant and the fact that they were such a tricky die mention to work with
      Even more so. Never go no Hilary's contribution think I'll drop her an email separately just to say thanks so much she really is a one-woman whirlwind!

      Delete
    2. Christine I do apologise for the rather bonkers typing above. I don't know quite why but for some reason when I use the iPad to make comments it doesn't always come out very well and can be very tricky to edit. Best to stick to the laptop for comments on Blogger methinks!

      Delete
  3. Exciting stuff! Well done you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations on getting into print :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Julie am I right in thinking that you have a quilt in this book as well? Which page if you do?

      Delete
  5. How exciting and a gorgeous book to proudly show to friends and family x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Congratulations! It looks like a lovely book.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is and I feel really quite grown up in an arty sort of way.

      Delete

I love to receive your comments - so please say hello. I have just been brave and turned the word verification off. Lets hope those spammy gate crashers don't get in!

Latest Instagrams

© Living to work - Working to live. Design by FCD.